Road to Massada

Snapshost glimpses into another world

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Randy's Post (No. 2)

I have found that Arabic is a rather difficult language to learn. The course itself lasts from 8:30am to 2:00pm and the professor usually allows for two much-needed 30 minute breaks. Before we slither out the door at the end of the class (our minds having been shotgun-blasted with curly symbols that all resemble each other) he jovially assigns homework that usually takes at least four hours to complete. Last night Chris and I were up until 4:30 studying for our second exam and half of the night was spent debating our roommate, Phil, on the validity of the Natural Law. Phil is a graduate student with a religious studies major and holds to the idea that much of Christianity is irrational to outsiders and a leap must be made for one to come to the truth. Brilliant, he debated with us until around 2:30am and did Kierkegaurd proud.

Back to the professor. The professor, a Jew who speaks Hebrew, Arabic, English, Latin, Russian, and French, is unaffected by any of the stifled moans as he keeps turning the pages (from right to left) and assigning more exercises from our textbook (which is written in HEBREW, not English, I might add). He simply replies, "it's simple" (pronounced Seem-pul). Well, I couldn't agree less that learning Arabic or doing the assignments is Seem-pul, but I do realize that I'm learning a whole lot and can't imagine a better environment in which to learn it. So far, we have learned seven weeks worth of material in a mere six days. As long as we keep our mouths firmly clamped to the fire hydrant, I think we'll be ok.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow and I thought I was having a hard time with Spanish. At least I can read my textbook. We have had half a semester of Spanish so far, besides trying to communicate with our host families. You guys look so happy in the pictures. I cannot imagine what a blast it must be.

Pura vida! (live it up!)

Amy

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying the blog. I feel a little bit of your pain - my Arabic teacher this session (202) is from Sudan and looks like a turtle (I mean that in the nicest way possible, but it doesn't help when she wears a green hijab!). She keeps saying, "you should already know this!" I am envious of you all - I'd love to study the language full time rather than juggling it with work. Anyone interested in an Arabic party sometime in early September? My favorite Arabic speaker should be home from his deployment by then. :)
-rachel-

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nat,

Thanks for giving me the link to this blog. :-) Keep posting pictures! They're incredible. Sounds like you all are having an amazing time over there. Good luck with Arabic (I think I'll stick to Spanish).

God bless!

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think an Arabic party would be great. Bring your big man along. I don't know, however, if we'll be able to understand each other. We're learning Palestinian Arabic. Are you learning Sudanese Arabic? If so, we'll just have to pass notes because the dialects are so different. There are two Egyptian girls in the class who speak Egyptian Arabic and are having a tough time with it.

Either way, we can have plenty of filafel, hummus, and pitas; that should (along with the company) make for a great party.

Randy

6:36 AM  
Blogger Nat said...

I think an Arabic party would be great. Bring your big man along. I don't know, however, if we'll be able to understand each other. We're learning Palestinian Arabic. Are you learning Sudanese Arabic? If so, we'll just have to pass notes because the dialects are so different. There are two Egyptian girls in the class who speak Egyptian Arabic and are having a tough time with it.

Either way, we can have plenty of filafel, hummus, and pitas; that should (along with the company) make for a great party.

Randy

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randall, Its been well over a week! So much is going on over there and those over here who are praying for you want to hear from you - to know for sure you are okay. Stop acting like a college student and commit to communicate!!!
Nag over.
Still praying for you,
Susan

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randall, Its been well over a week! So much is going on over there and those over here who are praying for you want to hear from you - to know for sure you are okay. Stop acting like a college student and commit to communicate!!!
Nag over.
Still praying for you,
Susan

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm learning MSA - my teachers have been from Iraq, Palestine, and now Sudan, but they're all teaching Modern Standard Arabic. I'm sure we'll have an awesome time regardless - and we just speak in English. :P

I hope you all are doing all right with everything that is going on. Stay safe.

-rachel-

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home